[Freedombox-discuss] Dev: Sending All Traffic Over Tor?

Nick Daly nick.m.daly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:02:40 UTC 2014

Hi folks, since we now support running Tor bridges on boxes, is it
time to send all the box's traffic over Tor?

If so, what would be the best way to do this?  We already have privoxy
(have we configured it or the HTTPSEverywhere ruleset at all?), but we
could also use one of the instruction sets from:

    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxy

Previously, there was one objection to this proposal:

1. Certain service providers discriminate against Tor users (editing
Wikipedia without hoops, etc).

So, are we significantly disadvantaging users by transparently
proxying all their traffic over Tor?  Of course, it depends on what
they want to do, but are those discriminatory services sufficiently
frequent to make gaining anonymity a net loss for the user?  I don't
think so but I haven't, for example, tried banking over Tor.

Thanks,
Nick