[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi Video Support

Chris Troutner chris.troutner at gmail.com
Tue May 6 18:44:44 UTC 2014

I want to ask a simple question, but the more I think about it, the more I
realize it's not a simple question. The simple question is this:

Is there any support for the video output of the Raspberry Pi in the
current version of Freedombox?

I'm going to assume that very little to no effort has been expended to
support the Pi's video output. Please correct me if this is a false
assumption.

The reason I don't think that is such a simple question is that Pi specific
builds, like Raspbian, have great video support, so it could theoretically
be moved in easily. However, I realize that many are begrudgingly
supporting the Pi as target hardware because of it's proprietary binary
blobs (although this may have changed?).

My personal opinion (read: feel free to disagree with me) is that a 'killer
app' for the Raspberry Pi/Freedombox would be along the lines of the
ability to plug a portable hard-drive into the Pi and play DVD ISO files on
the video output. I realize this is totally out of the scope of the goals
of the freedombox, but it would be an easy way to incentive non-nerds to
buy the hardware and install it in their living rooms.

At that point, those people's nerdy, freedombox supporting friends can help
them with the administration and add-ons of freedom promoting software like
TOR, encrypted email, web ad filtering, etc.

It would allow me to tell my friends and family: "Hey, give me $100 to
build you this great media device that lets you store and playback your
DVDs and music. And by the way, I can also load all this software for you
that helps support libertarian, internet freedom and help protect you from
NSA spying."

What do you all think?

-Chris Troutner
http://experimentsinfreedom.wordpress.com/