[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi Video Support

Jurgen Gaeremyn jurgen.gaeremyn at pandora.be
Tue May 6 20:26:29 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I think I'm way out of my league when I try contributing to this page...
can't help opening my mouth though...

Please remember we're talking about RasPi here... running OwnCloud for a
single user is already pulling this machine to its knees.
If you'd start adding TOR, mailpile, etc... I'm assuming this would
really start running really slow.
Now add another thingie called XBMC... and you'll probably get a media
centre with a framerate of 1fps at best. I doubt this would give a good
experience - and would be counter productive: people would consider the
RasPi/Freedombox as a piece of crap.

Keeping it lean and spiffy is the way to go. Obviously, you could have
some torrent client running on your Freedombox, and use a separate RasPi
to function as a media centre, and possibly even pull its (legally or
otherwise acquired) movies from your freedombox.

This way, you're actually putting your RasPi in good use twice (but
you'll need 2 of them). :)

Grtz,
Jurgen.