[Freedombox-discuss] Darkmail: near the top of list of things to support?

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sat May 31 01:15:58 UTC 2014

Darkmail aims at doing genuinely secure email. They say that requires
replacing SMTP because, even if the body is PGP_encrypted, the headers
leak too much private info.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/11/01/lavabit-and-silent-circle-form-dark-mail-alliance-to-thwart-email-surveillance/

Last I heard, the Darkmail Alliance had only two members, the founding
companies Lavabit and Silent Circle. They say they will have a draft
this year for an open protocol which they'll encourage others to
implement. Since some of the authors of the Open PGP RFC, basis of Gnu
GPG, are among their team, this is plausible.

I'd say it's obvious we should track this, add it to the Box when
there's a solid open source version. Should we do more? Implement it
ourselves? Ask the FB Foundation and/or Debian to become members of
the Alliance?