[Freedombox-discuss] Idea for cross freedombox email system not leaking metadata

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 23:42:12 UTC 2014

There needs to be a more rigorous-- or at least explicit-- set of guidelines for what software may get included in Freedombox.  Currently all I've read is that the project should glue together pre-existing pieces of software, rather than designing or developing software specifically for the project.  (Or at least minimizing the amount of software specific to Freedombox.)

As it is currently described, SMTorP is not compatible with Cables.

Also, Cables has a pseudonymous author, and I have no idea who it is.  Is that an issue?

Also, I've only heard of a single developer who's ever claimed to have used Cables. No one has audited it.  I'm not sure if someone has audited Mailpile.  Should software in Freedombox-- or at least software installed by default in Freedombox-- need an audit?

-Jonathan

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 6:14 PM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> These ideas about SMTorP and Cables sound great, but I am wondering
> what is needed to get these options into the FreedomBox.  Can any of
> you who know these approaches best tell us what needs to be done?
> Are Cables, SMTorP and Mailpile compatible?  Can they send email to
> each other?

Would be very nice to have a good answer to this one, as I hope we can
get these systems to send email to each other. :)

> My initial aim for FreedomBox would be to set up a SMTP and IMAP
> server that is capable of sending and receiving email via Tor while
> still allowing the use of a normal mail client, and it would be
> great if this system could send email to Cables and Mailpile too.

I created a debian package exim4-smtorp to configure exim to use SMTP
over Tor for all *.onion addresses, and the result can be seen from
to work for me, but I've only tested on one machine so far.

If you want to test it yourself, by sending email to my test machine,
install swaks and run this command:

  torsocks swaks --to fbx at dutlqrrmjhtfa3vp.onion \
    --server dutlqrrmjhtfa3vp.onion

This send the email to Exim and local delivery via Tor. :)

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen