[Freedombox-discuss] Idea for cross freedombox email system not leaking metadata

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Tue Nov 11 13:46:30 UTC 2014

On Monday 10 November 2014 04:42 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Jonathan Wilkes (2014-11-10 00:42:12)
[...]
>> Currently all I've read is that the project should glue together
>> pre-existing pieces of software, rather than designing or developing
>> software specifically for the project.  (Or at least minimizing the
>> amount of software specific to Freedombox.)
>
> That sounds like my opinion.  More specifically pre-existing *Debian*
> *packages*.
>
> It seems my opinion is not shared by those developing and including
> Plinth (it is packaged and in Debian but its package description if not
> its actual code discourage any use outside of a FreedomBox context).

There is nothing in Plinth's code to make it FreedomBox specific.  One
should be able to use it in regular Debian.  Any behaviour that stops us
from doing this can be treated as a bug.

That leaves us with just the description of the package.

> Also, if I am not mistaken, it seems to me that recent addition to
> Plinth is support for a packaging format of its own - making not only
> its central hib but also addon functionality specific to FreedomBox.

Plinth will not have a packaging format of its own nor is it distancing
in any way from Debian.  Let me explain:

- Plinth will be broken down into addons.  So, instead of having a
single Debian package we may have many.  This will be similar to many
Django applications that Debian already has (see python-django-*
packages) since Plinth uses Django.  We additionally allowed the
possibility writing an addon to Plinth outside of the Plinth source tree.

- Plinth will have a minimal package manager UI in future.  This will be
merely a UI over PackageKit/apt-get similar to other graphical package
installers present in Debian.  The primary drive for this is proper
handling of installation of large packages like ownCloud from Plinth.

All this will be in spirit of Debian and will work with it.

--
Sunil