[Freedombox-discuss] Testing upgrades and installations in a btrfs snapshot

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Nov 25 11:07:31 UTC 2014

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> I plan to change the snapshot naming system to be more like zfsnap, and
> store enough information in the snapshot names to know when to purge
> them without any manual intervention.
>
> Anyone know how to figure out how much space a btrfs snapshot uses?  I
> would like something like 'zfs list -t snapshot' for btrfs, to test an
> idea about flushing/removing snapshots before the upgrade when snapshots
> take up too much space before an upgrade.

While investigating the idea a bit further, I tracked down the OpenSuSe
tool used for this, snapper, and discovered that this is already
included in Jessie, <URL: https://packages.qa.debian.org/s/snapper.html >.

I guess we are better of using it instead of writing our own snapshot
utility. :)  Anyone got any experience using snapper?  The debian
package do not have any apt hooks, as far as I can tell, so there is
some improvements to be made, I guess. :)

The libpam-snapper package seem like a fun idea, allowing snapshots to
be taken when a user log in and out. :)

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen