[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox - "Danube Edition"

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 23:49:05 UTC 2014

On 22 October 2014 01:29, Markus Sabadello <markus at projectdanube.org> wrote:

>  Hello list,
>
> So here's the story.. I have an opportunity to build 100 CubieTrucks with
> a nice box and a SATA drive and I would like to call them FreedomBox -
> "Danube Edition", and sell them just at the price it costs to build them. I
> can present this at the upcoming Elevate festival in Graz and the Internet
> Identity Workshop in Mountain View, I have already demo'd FreedomBox at
> both events (and others) several times in the past.
>
> I'd be interested in feedback on any or all of the following..
>
> 1. Is this a good idea? I made this webpage:
> http://projectdanube.org/freedombox/
> So the message would basically be "you can get one, you can try to use it
> and learn about it, but don't rely on it".
> I noticed you just discussed how FreedomBox was not ready for the next
> Debian stable, but I think some people who don't know the command line
> would still want one.
>
> 2. I would like to help add a few things to the box. Most importantly,
> support for the Unhosted project, we already dreamed about this 2 years
> ago
> <http://blog.projectdanube.org/2012/06/freedombox-unhosted-pagekite-for-access-innovation-prize-2012/>,
> and it works really well. Another idea would be something that comes out of
> the current W3C Social Web work, as well as the IndieWeb community.

Not sure how much is going to come out of the W3C work, except some
standardization of AS 2.0, opensocial etc.

You may want to take a look at GOLD.  It's a light weight remote storage
file server with access controlled file access.  It runs on a raspberry pi
so should easily do well on a plug computer.  It's come out of tim
berners-lee's lab at MIT, so as you can expect it's 100% standards
compliant esp. with linked data platform.  The focus is on client side
(what you call unhosted) apps.

https://github.com/linkeddata/gold

I've been using it lately and the performance is very good, as it's written
in go.  I think it makes an ideal match to freedbombox.

PS I met Michiel (from unhosted) a couple of months ago, I think he's
working on a new hosting service which may fit to your ideas, tho you
probably know this already