[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox - "Danube Edition"

Markus Sabadello markus at projectdanube.org
Wed Oct 22 00:31:15 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 02:06 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Markus Sabadello (2014-10-22 01:29:15)
>> So the message would basically be "you can get one, you can try to use
>> it and learn about it, but don't rely on it".
>> I noticed you just discussed how FreedomBox was not ready for the next
>> Debian stable, but I think some people who don't know the command line
>> would still want one.
> You think some people who don't know the command line would want to buy
> hardware to learn about it but not rely on it?
>
> I think some people buy it but ignore the "but not rely on it" part -
> because after playing with it (i.e. clicked on the web interface - they
> don't know the command line) they conclude that if feels reliable enough
> despite the warnings.
>
> I think it is a bad idea to sell something that is not yet ready, to
> someone who don't understand what that means:  We are all so very used
> to reading and ignoring disclaimers.
Thanks Jonas, I had the same thoughts and am also worried about the same
things.

Following your argument, I believe people outside the command line /
hacker / developer communities could never use any security or privacy
related tools, because they will never be 100% ready.

I think there is value in shipping a version of FreedomBox now, a
limited number, without an intention to make money. The value would not
be to deliver immediate security or privacy, but to educate, to promote
and advance the vision, to help create a sense that there are
alternatives out there...

I'd be interested in what others on the list think. If everybody thinks
this is a bad idea, then I'm sure it is ..