[Freedombox-discuss] Quick report from GETD

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 09:36:16 UTC 2015

On 5 April 2015 at 05:28, Markus Sabadello <markus at projectdanube.org> wrote:

>  We used Henry's server: https://github.com/read-write-web/rww-play
>
> It seems a bit heavy for a little box and could probably be optimized a
> bit, but in general it worked very well for us.
> I am interested in trying GOLD as well! They should be compatible, right..

Thanks, I know that repo.

Yes GOLD is compatible with LDP.  It passes all the tests on the spec.  For
those that dont know LDP stands for "Linked Data Platform".  Linked Data is
pseudonym for semantic web / web of data / web3.0 etc.  The "Platform" is
essentially a web server that exposes a file server to the web, with some
meta data, modeled on the UNIX principles.  It became a W3C recommendation
about 1 month ago, and has about 10 different implementations, and an
interoperability test suite.

GOLD it also has a few other features such as support for websockets, to
allow realtime updates, modular authentication, access control lists and
JSON LD.  In some sense it's pre guessing what will go into the next
version of the spec, but given that it's coming from Tim Beners-Lee's team
at MIT, and Tim is director of the W3C those guesses should be quite good
ones.

GOLD was a complete rewrite of the PHP version, written in Go for
performance and async properties.  It runs on a raspberry pi quite well Im
told.  We're starting to see the first alpha apps for this platform, and Im
encouraged.  Apps are generally modular 100% client side JS apps, that can
run from any location, including your own storage / file system, giving you
extra control and freedom.  We'd like to converge with friendly projects
such as unhosted and owncloud, and communication channels are open, but
realistically convergence takes time.

One thing I have not worked out for freedombox is how to connect my storage
to the web e.g. using dynamic dns over https.  If anyone has a solution to
this, or any ideas, I'd be interested to hear.