[Freedombox-discuss] [EPFSUG] DRAFT Pilot Project: A Threat Model for MEPs

Caspar Bowden (lists) lists at casparbowden.net
Tue Apr 14 11:50:02 UTC 2015

This is all fine, but seriously the outcome should be just use Qubes -
what other game is there in town?

With a modest amount of EP funding and institutional support to
customize, within 6mths MEPs could have the most secure installable
FLOSS laptop OS in world, with a suite of EP apps locked down in
separate VMs, on Debian template, using SplitGPG in T-Bird, and
Disposable VMs by default for opening attachments. That means an attack
surface ~100x less than any other desktop OS. With a seamless Windows
HVM for compatibility if they really need.

BTW - I pitched Qubes to DIGIT, but given the cold shoulder - I think
they were frightened to go down road of exploring systemic vuln of
Windows installed base

Caspar
(Qubes Policy Adviser)