[Freedombox-discuss] Some questions

Sunil Mohan sunil at medhas.org
Sun Apr 19 10:10:41 UTC 2015

On 04/15/2015 06:37 PM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to install Freedombox and use the freedombox-setup
> package from Jessie, is that a good idea?

What we have in Jessie is a very old package.  So, it is not recommended.

> Someone gave me a Raspberry PI 2, is that hardware a good idea? I've
> heard it needs a Linux 3.18 kernel. Can I install with 3.16 and
> upgrade later?  I could also buy some other hardware.

There is no FreedomBox image built for Raspberry Pi 2 yet and no one
reported if the original Raspberry PI's image works on it (unlikely to
work if it needs 3.18 kernel).

However, if you happen to get Debian running on it, then you can install
the FreedomBox packages[1].

For other hardware, we recommend Open Source Hardware that does not
require proprietary firmware.  That means BeagleBone Black (has FB
images), OLinuXino (Debian installer supports it, AFAIK) and RadxaRock
(can install Debian with a bit of work, I am using one).

> Is there a list what the Freedombox 0.2 can do?

This is very limited I am afraid.  Please consider 0.3, which is better,
or trunk which is much better.  0.4 is coming soon.

> Are here other people thinking about making a backport of
> freedombox-setup 0.3 for Jessie?

Unfortunately, no one that I know of.  With limited resources, we are
focusing all our efforts on unstable.

Links:

1) https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware/Debian

--