[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox UI in your language

Mikkel Kirkgaard Nielsen miki at mikini.dk
Tue Dec 1 01:57:44 UTC 2015

On 30. nov. 2015 21.00.14 CET, Dietmar <ndcdhimdsa at gmx.de> wrote:
>I do not have Tor (yet?) installed, so is the touch on torrc necessary
>in any case?

If you use the latest plinth (as of yesterday at least) then yes, torrc has to be present for it to start up. The ./run command will bail out with an error otherwise.
Whether this is an error or deliberate I haven't looked into. It indicates that Tor is regarded as a required package (non-installable). That could be the case but seems a bit odd in the name of choice and flexibility. Somebody here will surely know why it is like that.

Creating an empty file was just a quick and crude way to bypass the requirement for testing the translation. I guess installing Tor for real will also allow plinth to run and provide even better functionality :).

The downside of translating on Transifex is that the currently missing synchronization with github causes latest code and .po files on Transifex to be out of sync. This means that when testing against the latest code you won't see the translated strings if developers have changed the text in the code even slightly. To update your translation run the makemessages command and reexamine the .po file on disk for new strings or strings marked fuzzy.

>I also would appreciate to see it in a wiki and linked to Translate as
>I would hot have to memorize it myself

If you have the need it seems plausible to create it. Ultimately it would be nice to have a public demobox (freedemobox?) that is autoupdated with latest code and translations. Until then my instructions are also archived here; http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2015-November/007055.html

Viel spass
Mikkel