[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox UI in your language

Mikkel Kirkgaard Nielsen miki at mikini.dk
Tue Dec 1 08:58:48 UTC 2015

Hi Petter.

On 2015-12-01 07:01, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[Transifex out of sync]
> This can be solved by storing the generated POT file in git and
> pointing Transifex to this file.  Then Transifex will update the
> original texts one per day.

Thanks for pointing that out, also in yesterday's mail, I had an
answer brewing ;).

I thought that would be a possibility but I don't think it is active
at the moment. At least I haven't seen an update to Transifex while
translating during the last week or so.
One of the Transifex maintainers
(https://www.transifex.com/freedombox/plinth/) must be able to confirm
or reject that speculation; SunilMohanAdapa, jvalleroy, philophil,
marcjones?

The complication here might be that the makemessages command to the
django-admin tool (which is Django's GNU gettext abstraction) doesn't
by default export a .pot file to the project. Instead it directly
generates or merges the .po files for individual languages.
Sunil has been updating the existing .po files in git a couple of
times since added
(https://github.com/freedombox/Plinth/commits/master/plinth/locale),
manually it looks like.

It is possible to produce a generic .pot by doing "django-admin
makemessages --keep-pot [-a|-l <locale>]". This seems to me to be the
right way to do it. And then a Transifex maintainer should point
Transifex there as per your advice.

Looking into that last part reveals even more options. I can't find
the simple .pot import you mention but instead some rather advanced
two-way sync mechanisms, even from within the Django site itself;

http://docs.transifex.com/integrations/github/
http://docs.transifex.com/integrations/django/

I guess the locale maintainers need to look into which of those to
use, if any. I seem to just spread questions and maybes now ;).

On 30. nov. 2015 10.05.22 CET, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com>
wrote:
> Downloading and commiting to git can be done using the tx command
> line client and a 'git commit' call, but I guess someone need to do
> this manually.

I see Philippe has updated fr, da & dk by now. Thanks Philippe.

I think dk (Denmark, the country) is superfluous here as da (Danish,
the language) is what we want and it worked fine during actual
testing. Are you aware of the tx tool Petter mentions
(http://docs.transifex.com/client/) or are you downloading manually
from Transifex?

- --
    Mikkel