[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox UI in your language

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Dec 2 12:06:57 UTC 2015

[Philippe]
> Hello Mikkel,

I chime in, even thought I am not Mikkel.

> Being not a super techy person and in my understanding of the current
> process, we have a pretty clear 2 stage work (translation/proof read)
> on Transifex, the point would be: when is the good time to upload a
> translation in order to avoid unnecessary uploads ? Is it good to
> upload now all the local django file even not fully polished for first
> experimental purpose ?

In my experience, it is a good idea to fetch from Transifex and commit
to git fairly regularly.  Think of Transifex as a fancy editor, and git
as saving the content to disk / making backups.  This way the
authorative source for the PO files is in Transifex for the translator
groups choosing to use it, and the git file is the derived file.

> There is a solution to get to a stable process. Leaving Transifex for
> weblate.  Weblate platform with Github sync feature has integrated
> FreedomBox this morning
> https://hosted.weblate.org/projects/freedombox/plinth/

Will weblate commit updated translations to git?

> Leaving Transifex (non free, no sync) for Weblate (free, sync) as the
> recommanded tool seems logical and is the next move. In the meantime,
> staying on Transifex can be a local choice from teams who are not
> comfortable with other solutions. What do you think ?

When you state 'sync' for Weblate, as opposed to Transifex, I get the
impression you mean translations done in Weblate will be automatically
commited to git - which seem like a good idea until considering the
security implications.

This would mean the Weblate web service have commit access to our git
repository, either using a ssh key with no password (scary) or a
password protected ssh key and an ssh-agent with the password available
for the web server to use (also scary).  And any security issue with
Weblate could lead to unwanted commits to the Plinth git repository
(even scarier).

If you only mean 'sync' from git to Weblate (as in po files are fetched
from git when they change, and changes done in Weblate is lost), that
seem like an equally bad idea if Translators are using the web interface
to update translations.

I guess the underlying question I am trying to raise here is where is
the authorative source for translated strings (git or the web editor),
and how can we ensure the integrity of our git repository?

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen