[Freedombox-discuss] Installing FreedomBox on a Digital Ocean VM (droplet)

Adrian Gropper agropper at healthurl.com
Wed Dec 30 20:51:39 UTC 2015

Thank you James! That worked and it's up and running. (The self-signed cert
has the name of the Digital Ocean Droplet (MyAS in this case) -
interesting.)

The HIE of One app will be built on Django. python -c "import django;
print(django.get_version())" reports no Django installed.

Eventually, I would want HIE of One to be added to Plinth but this is not a
priority yet. My primary concern is not to mess up FreedomBox during
development. For example, On my Mac, I installed Django using Bitnami which
gives a nice isolated environment. I've also used the Binami Launchpad to
install Django on a different Digital Ocean droplet with "one-click" and
some OAuth magic but that installed SSH certificates by default and that
somewhat complicates shared development. (Note the irony of trying to
delegate access to develop a delegation server).

Is there a recommended way to install Django to Plinth or in a way that
will not conflict with Plinth?

Thanks,

Adrian

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 2:53 PM, James Valleroy <jvalleroy at mailbox.org>
wrote:

> On 12/30/2015 02:30 PM, Adrian Gropper wrote:
> > Duncan's suggestion was extremely helpful! Here's a log of what I did
> > but *why am I Forbidden from accessing plinth?
> > *
>
> The Plinth apache2 configuration, in
> /etc/apache2/sites-available/plinth.conf, restricts access to the
> following IPs by default:
>
> 127.0.0.0/8
> 169.254.0.0/16
> 10.0.0.0/8
> 172.16.0.0/12
> 192.168.0.0/16
> ::1
> fe80::/10
> fc00::/7
>
> Easiest workaround for now is to add the public IP of wherever you are
> trying to connect from, with a "Require ip" statement.
>
> --
> James

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: http://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-2/