[Freedombox-discuss] Installing FreedomBox on a Digital Ocean VM (droplet)

Adrian Gropper agropper at healthurl.com
Thu Dec 31 20:37:50 UTC 2015

Thanks to the quality of this list, my experience with FreedomBox as a
potential platform has been superb. I'm eager to engineer as much of HIE of
One as possible around FreedomBox and Plinth because it would complement
the current FreedomBox application suite and because adoption of both
FreedomBox and HIE of One is likely to be improved. The timing also seems
to work as FreedomBox is now stable enough to be a net plus as a platform
for a new community like HIE of One.

I've read the Manual, and it's quite good as a starting point for using or
hacking. However, I think I need a bit of advice around
FreedomBox-Plinth-HIE of One architecture. Briefly, HIE of One, like
Plinth, is designed around Django and a sqlite DB to manage all of the
various OAuth-related tokens and associated policies. There will be 4
tables: Resource Servers, Clients, Users, and OpenID Providers accessed by
the Django admin UI and connected to a handful of OAuth and UMA standard
HTTPS endpoints. From a UI design perspective, the goal of HIE of One is to
be as invisible and automated as a well-designed ad-blocker: it's at its
best when users don't need to know how it works, it comes from a trusted
source, installs with no questions, don't have to configure anything, and
it's always easy to manage exceptions.

So the question is: how do I treat FreedomBox and Plinth as a platform for
development purposes? This may seem like a simple RTFM issue until you
realize that I have no Django experience myself. The Developer Manual seems
to assume that the app being added already mostly exists rather than my
situation where I'm hoping to hack FreedomBox without breaking it. Any and
all thoughts are most welcome as I plow ahead.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Adrian

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 7:17 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com>
wrote:

> [James Valleroy]
> > The Plinth apache2 configuration, in
> > /etc/apache2/sites-available/plinth.conf, restricts access to the
> > following IPs by default:
> >
> > 127.0.0.0/8
> > 169.254.0.0/16
> > 10.0.0.0/8
> > 172.16.0.0/12
> > 192.168.0.0/16
> > ::1
> > fe80::/10
> > fc00::/7
> >
> > Easiest workaround for now is to add the public IP of wherever you are
> > trying to connect from, with a "Require ip" statement.
>
> Perhaps we could avoid user confusion if we conviced apache2 to show a
> page stating that the admin interface is only available for the IPs
> listed above, when it is rejecting access?
> --
> Happy hacking
> Petter Reinholdtsen

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: http://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-2/