[Freedombox-discuss] Intel Compute Stick

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jan 14 12:46:59 UTC 2015

Quoting Jens Thiele (2015-01-14 12:19:47)
> Walter van Holst <walter.van.holst at xs4all.nl> writes:
>
>> What is the take of the Freedom Box project on the boundary problem
>> in open hardware? Especially the lower boundary? At what lower level
>> would such a requirement stop being applied?
>>
>> See for an explanation
>> http://www.ifosslr.org/ifosslr/article/view/69/131
>
> Interesting read, thanks for that one (hope I will have time to read
> it completely).
>
> But for me it would be more a question of at least heading into the
> right direction at the moment.

That was my point too in my proposing to raise the bar now: I no longer
see the benefit of tracking boards that are less ideal when we have
adequate options that are more ideal.

I am quite interested in Sunil elaborating, and others chiming in too,
on reasons to keep tracking lesser ideal options.

One argument could be that SATA port is important, and raising the bar
to "must be OSHW" leaves us with SATA-enabled boards from only a single
vendor.

Other arguments?

Opinions on priority of arguments?

NB! Please limit to arguments and priorities sensible to apply *now*
with *existing* board options (reflections on theoretic principles
disconnected from current FreedomBox and currently available boards in a
separate thread, please).