[Freedombox-discuss] Debconf15: Free Communications with Free Software -- Daniel Pocock

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Nov 5 13:51:09 UTC 2015

Quoting James Valleroy (2015-11-05 14:09:35)
>> On September 9, 2015 at 4:03 AM Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Did you all see the recording from debconf on free real time
>>> communication systems,
>>> <https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/meeting/317/free-communications-with-free-software/>.
>>
>> Is there a way we can get the Freedombox to include a working
>> federated audio/video option?

Yes: Follow the guidelines at
https://wiki.debian.org/UnifiedCommunications/DebianDevelopers - which
involves including a SIP server on the box and/or integrate with the
XMPP server already included.

When those server parts are in place on the box, then a simple static
web page can embed libjs-jssip - e.g. like https://rtc.debian.org/

> One option could be XMPP JIngle. This doesn't require any change on
> the server side, just a client that supports it.
>
> From our "Leaving the Cloud" wiki page, I found 3 XMPP web clients
> that claim to support Jingle (but none are in Debian yet):
>
> https://project.jappix.com/
> https://movim.eu/
> https://github.com/otalk/otalk-im-client

Those three projects are all client parts, I believe.  They therefore
all require server part above, and are only spiffier replacement for the
static web page.

> If anyone can, please try installing / using one of these, and let us know
> about your experience. Then we can focus on packaging the most promising
> option.

Sure, please do help package more nice stuff for Debian, so that it can
also be considered for improving the user experience of FreedomBox.
Just beware that we already have a working client part: Packaging nicer
looking user-facing clients does not solve the issue crucial to
FreedomBox, which is to keep the log files locally at the user and
therefore run the *server* at the user.