[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: Samba on Freedombox

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Mon Nov 30 13:52:16 UTC 2015

On 11/30/2015 01:41 PM, Tim Mohrbach wrote:
> I have pretty naively installed a samba on my freedombox. But the
> firewall is very strict and I couldn't access the samba from my local
> network at all. So I adjusted the firewall rules, after the next
> update they were all gone again, haha. I'm wondering what's the
> freedombox way to achieve things like that to work?

FreedomBox uses FirewallD for managing firewall.  Although it's
operation is automatic, manual changes are completely okay and
FreedomBox does not interfere.

Only thing is you need to deal with FirewallD instead of iptables
directly.  This is documented[1][2].

In your case the following should work (assuming you are using samba on
'internal' zone):

$ firewall-cmd --zone=internal --add-service=samba
$ firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=internal --add-service=samba

> Whats are tools like the deluge worth without a shared folder which
> I can access from my local network?

There is going to be 'sharing' service in FreedomBox, hopefully soon,
that will share a folder via samba, UPnP and possibly other mechanisms.
 Patches welcome[3] :)

> Or should I just not install anything apart from the freedombox
> packages and wait until the samba actually works as part of the
> freedombox?

- Installing a supported app manually should be fine (don't use UI).

- Installing additional unsupported apps manually should be fine.

- Additional configuration to apps managed by FreedomBox should also be
fine.

[...]

Links:

1) https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual/Firewall