[Freedombox-discuss] Wireless Mesh Netowrking

Elena ``of Valhalla'' Grandi valhalla-d at trueelena.org
Thu Oct 8 11:23:43 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-08 at 12:21:06 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> This reminds me of the question of mesh protocol.
>
> Which mesh protocol should we set up with the Freedombox?  It is also a
> question of what community we want the FreedomBox to join?

In my experience you can't choose the *best* mesh community, you have to
choose the one that is active near you.

This expecially applies to `Wireless community networks`_: e.g. if you
are in Spain you'll have to join Guifi_, in Germany Freifunk_ in Italy
Ninux_, because that's the one you can connect with.

.. _`Wireless community networks`: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_community_network
.. _Guifi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guifi.net
.. _Freifunk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freifunk
.. _Ninux: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninux

Supporting these three networks would require support for two different
mesh protocols, OLSR and batman-adv, since they are the ones used (and
which one depends on the city / neighborhood).

On the other hand, these networks usually provide OpenWRT images that
run the mesh stack and provide a local network to which people can
connect their computers: the FreedomBox could just ignore the mesh part
and connect this way.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''