[Freedombox-discuss] Add remoteStorage to FreedomBox

Sunil Mohan sunil at medhas.org
Mon Oct 12 16:18:51 UTC 2015

On 10/11/2015 08:53 PM, Markus Sabadello wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think in the past I already mentioned Unhosted
> <http://unhosted.org/> a few times. The idea is that you can run
> client-side browser apps such as Litewrite <http://litewrite.net/>,
> which store all data on your "remote storage". I'd like to propose
> that now may be a good time to add this to FreedomBox.
>
> I created a PDF that shows the basic user flow with screenshots:
> http://debian-dev.freedombox.at/doc/FreedomBox%20RemoteStorage.pdf
>
> Also, I created a Debian package for the remoteStorage server:
> https://github.com/peacekeeper/debian-node-restore
>
> The package is available at this Debian repo that Michael and I use
> for testing: http://debian-dev.freedombox.at/
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Could someone help to review my Debian package, look for bugs,
> and then help actually getting it into Debian?

I had a glance (not a full review) at the Debian package.  Some comments:

- The default user could be removed as signup is enabled.

- The URLs that the Apache configuration is mapping should probably be
all under /restore (also simplifies the configuration).

- <Proxy *> allowing access to all hosts is not good.  It should
selectively allow for URLs this conf is proxying.

- 'Allow from all' is outdated.

- Does the application run as root?  Good to create a separate user.

> 2. Sunil are you interested in showing this at the SFLC demo?
>
> I think this is a super powerful function for FreedomBox, since it's
> not just yet another "thing" that you self-host, but really a new way
> to think about our online data..

It would indeed be very nice to show at the demo.  I spoke to Marc Jones
and he agrees too.

However, we only have a short period before the demo and I am occupied
with quite a few items.  Would you be able to get into shape for the
demo?  This has to be well in advance of the demo so that we can ensure
everything is working properly.

Looks like the Debian package is mostly in shape.  We would want a quick
Plinth module that allows enabling/disabling the server and show
information on how to use the server.

I wish I could be more assistance.

--
Sunil