[Freedombox-discuss] Own-mailbox

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 04:47:00 UTC 2015

Freedombox actually had a much more seductive premise-- that the tools to
"secure all the things" are just sitting out there in free software-land waiting to
be glued together.  All that was needed was for a small group of developers to
tap the spirit inherent in projects like Debian or GNU and harness it to tackle
the problem of usability.  Then, like legos, everything would eventually just click
together.  It happens to be a false premise, but it obviously got the project well
past its goal.
If anyone thinks it's not a false premise, however, I have a challenge
for you.  Take the interface from Popcorn Time and make it work for some
selection of public domain movies, while providing anonymity to both the viewers and the providers of the content.  And you must do it while keeping
all the features of their interface:* zero configuration* user clicks a button to start streaming the content* user seeds the content they're streaming
This challenge is way simpler than a Freedombox because the data being passed around is just commodity content; juggling personal data, private messaging or social networking is obviously much more complex.  Still, I'd
be quite surprised if anyone could pull this off using extant free software.

-Jonathan