[Freedombox-discuss] Own-mailbox

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Oct 15 11:57:24 UTC 2015

You have many good questions.  I would like to mention a link related to
one of them.

[Leen Besselink]
> But the question is what do you do with the keys ?: Where does your
> mother or farther keep his/her key for decrypting that backup ?
> Printed on a piece of paper at the local bank in a safe-deposit box ?

I would go with this solution, including a "barcode" format readable
using a camera and a bar code reader.  One idea would be using the
paperkey package an QR codes.  See

But the hard trick might be to make it easy to get the print out of the
box in an easy matter, and to get the code from paper into the box in a
simple matter.  I suspect it either need to have printer support
included and the ability to print to any printer nearby (hard) or allow
the PDF to be stored on a USB stick or something similar to be carried
to the printer for printing.  And that would leave an unencrypted copy
of the key on the USB stick.  I believe it would be a good idea to keep
the USB stick with the printed paper and treat them as equally
sensitive.

I do believe this part is solvable. :)

--
Happy hacking