[Freedombox-discuss] Initial login

Bob Mottram bob at robotics.uk.to
Tue Apr 5 10:10:50 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 05, 2016 at 10:40:52AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>[Bob Mottram]
>> I havn't tried the latest build, but I think the way to initially log
>> in is via the browser at freedombox.local. As far as I know the
>> initial account creation then allows you to use ssh with the same
>> login details.
>
>Hm, perhaps we should set up the default ssh login to start a text based
>web browser and allow the setup to be performed via ssh too?  Not sure
>it is a good idea, but would be fun to try.
>
>But at the very least, we could try to modify the ssh setup to tell the
>users trying to log in to use a web browser instead, to avoid this
>confusion that have popped up a few times here on the list.

You could do like I do on Freedombone and maybe have an initial default
ssh login, but the first time the user logs in it changes the password
to something random and displays the new password so that they can copy
it into a password manager. That avoids the problem of weak passwords
and universal defaults. Also it might be an idea to have a ssh/dialog
based setup for the initial account creation.