[Freedombox-discuss] Setting up a FreedomBox on an apu1d4. Usb device (phone/modem) not seen by plinth.

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Wed Apr 27 03:58:18 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:41:37PM +0530, Sunil Mohan Adapa wrote:
> 2) When you connect a USB tethered phone it will show us as an Ethernet
> device.  Which you can configure as 'external' connection in Plinth.  If

Mmm... No such luck.  The only interfaces visible to plinth are the 3
usual ones: one internal connected to the internal network (enp3s0),
one internal not connected (enp2s0) and the WAM interface connected to
the ubiquiti router.  More below.

> your phone only provides PPP, you will have configure that from 'nmtui'
> from command line (Plinth does not do PPP connections yet)

It's not visible to nmtui either.  Of course my first impulse was to run
lsusb, but it's not installed.  The only hint I get is from

$ cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
  1 mem
  4 /dev/vc/0
  4 tty
  4 ttyS
  5 /dev/tty
  5 /dev/console
  5 /dev/ptmx
  7 vcs
  10 misc
  13 input
  21 sg
  29 fb
  128 ptm
  136 pts
  166 ttyACM    <=== this is the device
  180 usb
  189 usb_device
  251 tpm
  252 bsg
  253 watchdog
  254 rtc

and upon connection the proper device is created:

$ ls -l /dev/ttyACM0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Feb 11 12:30 /dev/ttyACM0

As expected, the device goes away when the usb phone is disconnected.

So, the kernel and the usb sub-system see it.

Incidentally, this is on a freshly upgraded system to 9.1 as of April 26,
2016.  I managed to update/upgrade (sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
per the instructions) without having an internet connection on the
outside interface by creating /etc/apt/apt.conf with this in it:

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://192.168.200.7:8118/";

This pointed apt to an internal machine (on the internal network)
running privoxy on port 8118.  On that machine, the usb tethered phone
provided the internet connection.  Since this only re-directs apt, the
downloading of the certificates failed.

Yes, crappy solution but that's all I have at the moment.  I'd really
like to be able to use the usb tethered phone as an outside interface
on the freedombox itself, with all the services pointed to it.  Any hints?

Thanks!