[Freedombox-discuss] Internet Widgits Pty Ltd?

dgj+lists at systemli.org dgj+lists at systemli.org
Wed Dec 21 16:48:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

When setting up the XMPP client Jitsi, I get a message that the
certificate is not trusted.

I generated the TLS certificate using Let's Encrrypt within Plinth.

When I view the certificate, I see the organization it is issued to and
by is "Internet Widgits Pty Ltd." When I look up who "Internet Widgits
Pty Ltd" is, I find, e.g.,
https://web.archive.org/web/20160513100430/http://www.herdprotect.com/signer-internet-widgits-pty-ltd-009dd8bc177abb2f73.aspx.

"Internet Widgits Pty Ltd is a software publisher located in Some-State,
Australia*. The publisher primarily developes software that can be
classified as adware. Thre are 18 additional code signing certificates
issued to this publisher."

I have not accepted the certificate. Is it unsafe?

Best,
DJ