[Freedombox-discuss] Live Demonstration Infrastructure

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Wed Feb 24 04:37:01 UTC 2016

On 02/23/2016 11:21 PM, J.D. Bean wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been playing with Freedombox and lurking here for a while now and
> wanted to raise the issue of setting up some sort of live demonstration
> instance of Freedombox for potential users/contributors to play with
> before. When considering browser-based tools I find that these sorts of
> demonstrations have a strong impact on my interest-level in the project
> and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about making this kind of
> demonstration a goal for the project?
>
> I'm not sure what sorts of tools are used by other web app projects to
> set up there demo instances and I have a hunch that setting something
> like this up might present some non-negligible technical challenges.
> Some examples of demo instances for web-based projects include:

Web based demo is indeed a powerful way to spike interest among casual
visitors.  I gave a some thought to it a while back without much
conclusion.  Here's an idea that could work:

On a reasonably powerful machine, we could spawn a dozen or so
VMs/containers from a snapshot.  We don't allow incoming connections on
these except on web port for interacting with Plinth (this will be a
web-only demo).  People can login, install applications, configure
system etc. but they will not be able to use services unless they are
web-base services such as ownCloud.  Then every 15 minutes or so, we
will reset all the VMs/containers state to the snapshot state.

This may be possible with minimal setup and maintenance effort.

--
Sunil