[Freedombox-discuss] Live Demonstration Infrastructure

Adrian Gropper agropper at healthurl.com
Wed Feb 24 05:15:56 UTC 2016

The infrastructure I'm using to develop HIE of One is another option. Some
visitors might prefer to pay $5 for a one month trial. We could even
provide a tool so they could migrate their data from the VM FreedomBox to
their self-hosted one.

A slightly more elaborate scheme would pass a single $5/mo account among
visitors as a kind of "pay it forward". When someone was done demoing their
VM and moved their certificates to a self-hosted box, they would pass
control to the next visitor on the list. That way, the average trial might
be $ 1 or 2 and folks would feel good about moving from hosted to
self-hosted.

Here's the documentation I have so far for Digital Ocean:
https://github.com/HIEofOne/PersonalAS/wiki/Milestone-0:--Install-FreedomBox-as-a-%245-mo-Digital-Ocean-droplet

Adrian

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:37 PM, Sunil Mohan Adapa <sunil at medhas.org>
wrote:

> On 02/23/2016 11:21 PM, J.D. Bean wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been playing with Freedombox and lurking here for a while now and
> > wanted to raise the issue of setting up some sort of live demonstration
> > instance of Freedombox for potential users/contributors to play with
> > before. When considering browser-based tools I find that these sorts of
> > demonstrations have a strong impact on my interest-level in the project
> > and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about making this kind of
> > demonstration a goal for the project?
> >
> > I'm not sure what sorts of tools are used by other web app projects to
> > set up there demo instances and I have a hunch that setting something
> > like this up might present some non-negligible technical challenges.
> > Some examples of demo instances for web-based projects include:
>
> Web based demo is indeed a powerful way to spike interest among casual
> visitors.  I gave a some thought to it a while back without much
> conclusion.  Here's an idea that could work:
>
> On a reasonably powerful machine, we could spawn a dozen or so
> VMs/containers from a snapshot.  We don't allow incoming connections on
> these except on web port for interacting with Plinth (this will be a
> web-only demo).  People can login, install applications, configure
> system etc. but they will not be able to use services unless they are
> web-base services such as ownCloud.  Then every 15 minutes or so, we
> will reset all the VMs/containers state to the snapshot state.
>
> This may be possible with minimal setup and maintenance effort.
>
> --
> Sunil

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: http://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-2/