[Freedombox-discuss] SD-Card optimisation - Transfer speed

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Feb 28 22:09:51 UTC 2016

Quoting Dieter (2016-02-28 21:52:03)
> i stumbled upon the topic sd-card optimisation some days ago, and i
> did some research, so according to some articles, alignment of the
> partitions as well as choosing appropriate values for some more
> advanced options of the formatters might lead to a bit of a
> performance gain.
>  https://blogofterje.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/optimizing-fs-on-sd-card/
> https://lwn.net/Articles/428584/
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SDCard
> and so on...

Beware that (likely due to that wave of attention few years back) some
partitioning tools have since improved their defaults to more often be
well aligned.

Not sure where I read that, but I do recall that when checking
changelog of a few of the tools it wasn't easy to spot there :-/

The best place I have found for concrete testing notes was the OLPC
wiki: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/SDCard_Testing (you may also find the
more general NAND_Testing page interesting).

> I did a little bit of testing on an old 2 GB Sandisk card, but
> performance figures stayed roughly the same.

Try deliberately force bad values, to learn how badly (or not) it
affects performance.