[Freedombox-discuss] Designing the Ultimate Internet Gizmo

David Solomonoff drsolomonoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 21:12:23 UTC 2016

Possibly slightly off-topic but ...

I recently connected with hardware developers interested in designing
and manufacturing a low-cost open source router for wireless mesh networks.

The FreedomBox could potentially be integrated.

I'm reaching out to get input on what features would be useful. The sky
is the limit here as we haven't gotten started although we have the
design talent and manufacturing facilities lined up.

So ... something along the lines of:

  * Small form factor
  * Very low cost
  * Low power consumption
      o Possibly solar powered
  * Built-in crypto
      o Blockchain?
  * Easily hacked/modified
  * User-friendly
      o Easy for non-technical user to configure and deploy

What other features would be useful?

  * In places where security is an issue
      o Repressive governments try to block
      o Criminals and terrorists try to exploit
  * Difficult terrain or other environmental issues
  * Interference is a problem - in dense urban areas for example

    --
    David Solomonoff, President
    Internet Society of New York
    president at isoc-ny.org