[Freedombox-discuss] 4th Amendment Troubles

Bill Kronholm wckronholm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 21:25:29 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this list for a while, mainly because I'm really
interested in the freedom box project. It seems to me like a worthwhile
cause, and I hope to implement a freedom box soon (once I have the
time). It's a great project and much needed!

However, with news out of the US federal courts today (see, e.g.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/06/federal-court-fourth-amendment-does-not-protect-your-home-computer)
I wonder about the future of the project.

On the one hand, civilians using freedom box will still be able to host
their own data and keep it away from corporate entities. On the other,
the federal government (in the US, anyways) is trying very hard to make
it legal to break in to home computers (of domestic citizens) without
warrants.

So, to those who are much more intimately involved with freedom box than
I am, how does this effect the future of the project?

Cheers,
-Bill