[Freedombox-discuss] 4th Amendment Troubles

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Jun 24 05:42:13 UTC 2016

[Bob Girard]
> Deterrence based on any kind of economic argument seems a little
> dubious, at least in the U.S.  After all, the FBI/NSA/etc. have never
> relented in their hacking because of budgetary constraints; they have
> carte-blanche access to as much taxpayer money as they want.

The point with raising the cost is that dragnet surveillance is only
politically and practically possible because it is so cheap.  If we make
it more costly, the governments will have to go back to targeted
surveillance.

As we lack the funding and capacity to avoid targeted attacks, all we
can hope for is to make sure to raise the bar, not close the gate, ref

If you remember the initial arguments from Eben Moglen, much of the
point is to make sure our personal data is stored in a location where
the government will need a warrant to get access, not to make it
impossible for the government to get access.  "Impossible" require a
different budget, while I believe we can manage "expensive" on our
budget. :)

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholtsen