[Freedombox-discuss] 4th Amendment Troubles

Bob Mottram bob at robotics.uk.to
Sat Jun 25 08:13:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 11:29:25PM +0200, Karlheinz Meier wrote:
>Am 23.06.2016 um 23:25 schrieb Bill Kronholm:
>Hi Bill.
>We are not only talking about the US here.
>The germany High Court has ruled that there is a right for an untouched
>integrity of private IT systems:
>This is targeted against government spy software.

And it's not just about protection from spying, it's also a reaction to
the ecosystem of badness which much of the internet has turned into. To
have control of your computing it's no longer enough to have that only
at the level of a laptop (although that remains a struggle too), you
also need it at the level of information services, either by running
them yourself and federating or at the level of the communities to which
you belong (i.e. democratically).

The problem with the silos which currently dominate is that they're not
democratically run organisations and their allegiances and values are
antithetical to many of us.