[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox with Horde?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Mar 12 14:43:32 UTC 2016

Hi Dieter,

Quoting Dieter (2016-03-12 15:03:49)
> The recent troubles (owncloud probably getting removed from debian), i
> thought about trying out some different systems.
>
> Right now I'm downloading php-horde-webmail on the freedombox.
> I plan to use the already available ldap-server, as well as the
> running Postgresql-Database.
>
> Have any of you tried this before?
>
> Do you think this is a bad idea?
>
> Also, security-wise?
>

> Any help and comments would be welcome! :)

Since you asked: I find it unwise to use PHP at all on FreedomBox (since
FreedomBox by definition means there will be no system administrator to
monitor and intervene when (not if) yet another weakness in either the
PHP engine itself or some code written in that language is abused.

I find it interesting to explore running Mail on the box - without PHP.
A non-PHP web-client available in Debian is Cider Webmail.

A challenge is how to handle spam fully automated (again: It is a
Freedombox so you have to assume no sysadmin is available).