[Freedombox-discuss] Update: Not sure what happened, but not it's mostly working...

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Sun May 1 22:20:14 UTC 2016

Earlier I said:

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 04:32:11PM -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:

> Looks like I have some confusion as to what the network manager uses to
> identify what it deals with.  Why are both ttyACM0 and ppp0 listed under
> "DEVICE"?  Is there a way to associate "ttyACM0" with ppp0 under nmcli?
> Is this necessary?
>
> No surprise then that anything else is not working from the web
> interface.

I'm not quite sure what happened, but after starting ppp with

$ sudo pon cell

(possibly because the latest update/upgrade made a difference, the
kernel was upgraded)

I can now install software from the plinth interface.  I installed
privoxy and it now works when I point the browsers from other internal
machines to it.  Of course the "under the hood" issues remain.  I have
to start ppp manually and turn it off with sudo poff, so proper
integration with plinth remains to be done.

Another issue I have encountered is quite annoying.  When using
konqueror to access the plinth interface it keeps popping up windows
that say that the form uses posted deta, resend? so I have to click
"continue" every few seconds.  I realize that this is an issue of
compatibility with the aforementioned browser and the proper fix might
be to set it up not to pop up the windows, but can something be done on
the plinth end?

> > > your phone only provides PPP, you will have configure that from 'nmtui'
> > > from command line (Plinth does not do PPP connections yet)
>
> Even with the ppp connection up and running, nmtui only sees the 3
> ethernet connections.

These issues of compatibility with plinth remain.  I presume that the
proper way to handle ppp is to run pon/poff from plinth with the
Activate/Deactivate button, like is done for the interfaces of type
ethernet.  Also the "networks->add connection->type" tab should include
ppp (in addition to ethernet, wi-fi and PPPoE).

I'll keep testing more of the applications.

Augustine