[Freedombox-discuss] apt upgrade creates eth0 network interface

James Valleroy jvalleroy at mailbox.org
Thu May 12 22:28:28 UTC 2016

On 05/12/2016 03:07 PM, Dietmar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did yesterday an 'apt upgrade' (my impression is that
> unattended-upgrades are not working, but no proof yet, no error
> messages in the log).
> The result was that I had a new network interface 'eth0' again, which
> was activated, additionally to the 'FreedomBox WAN'.
> I had to remove (via Plinth) eth0 to have access from the outside to
> the box again.
> It's the 2nd or 3rd time I am observing this. So my impression is that
> some configuration is getting overwritten during the upgrade process.
> Has anyone else observed this?

Just out of curiosity, were there any dpkg prompts during the apt upgrade?

> Also, I observed that my domain name was not listed any more in the
> name-services. I had to enter it again to find it activated. The same
> root cause?

This sounds related to https://github.com/freedombox/Plinth/issues/262.
When Plinth is restarted, the config module will add the current
domainname to the Name Services page. But if the domain name is blank in
Configuration (due to issue 262), then it won't be added.

A quick workaround for this issue is to change the hostname to anything
other than the default value ("freedombox"). Then set the domain name
again on the Configuration page.

--
James