[Freedombox-discuss] Cannot ssh into the box any more

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Wed May 18 08:54:49 UTC 2016

On 05/17/2016 11:09 PM, Dietmar wrote:

> Am Montag, den 16.05.2016, 20:14 +0100 schrieb Christopher Baines:
>> I think I had the same issue (I could not login, or use sudo, but I
>> could SSH in using a key).
>>
>> I downgraded libpam-abl to 0.6.0-3, and that seemed to fix the problem.
> There has not yet been reported a bug to libpam-abl in the Debian bug
> tracking system. So maybe it is a Freedombox issue?
> The change log of libpam-abl says:
>> libpam-abl (0.6.0-4) unstable; urgency=medium
>>
>>   * d/control, update VCS-fields, Bump Standards-Version
>>   * Remove trailing whitespaces from multiple files
>>   * Set compat level to 9
>>   * Update d/rules to use all hardening flags
>>   * Remove multiarch.patch as compat level v9 enables multiarch automatically
>>   * Closes: #751551, actually fixed in 0.6.0-1, the default block time
>>     for user and host is set to 1 hour
>>
> Maybe the issue is related to "all hardening flags" - just guessing.

I am unable to login to freshly built images for FreedomBox due this
issue.  Hints are towards FreedomBox not being the problem.

- Removing libpam-abl fixes the problem.

- In FreedomBox, we are not changing any configuration related to
libpam-abl.

- As noted, recent upgrade of libpam-abl seems to cause the issue.

--
Sunil