[Freedombox-discuss] Joining a mesh network with BATMAN

Bastien Rocheron b at kuma.la
Tue Nov 22 00:19:10 UTC 2016

While I try to understand what is wrong with the mesh setup in Plinth I
have successfully joined my mesh network from my freedombox manually.

The step that silently fails in Plinth is the creation of bat0 while
adjusting the wireless interface. I'm not sure the part that adds the
interface to batman automatically (when calling it with a name that ends
in 'BATMAN') really works.

So I have taken my wireless interface out of the network manager and set
it up manually and also create the bat0 interface at the same time.

Then the bat0 interface shows up while creating a new interface in the
Networks module of Plinth. And that one can be managed automatically as
any other.

Actually this means very few manual interaction:

I have just added the wireless interface setup in the
/etc/network/interfaces.d/setup file and that automatically removes it
from network manager.
My config looks like this:

auto wlxec086b18f829
iface wlxec086b18f829 inet manual
mtu 1532
wireless-channel 11
wireless-essid anything_will_work
wireless-mode ad-hoc
wireless-ap 00:11:22:33:44:55 # the mesh BSSID
post-up /usr/sbin/batctl if add dev wlxec086b18f829

Then after a network restart or reboot I go to Plinth, Networks, Add
Connection, chose Generic, and then enter my settings, in my case it's
an internet connection so I chose auto and put it in the external
firewall rule and then activate it. It shows up immediately.

Now I need to understand how to re-activate the newly created connection
after a reboot.

cheers