[Freedombox-discuss] DNS on local network

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Sat Sep 3 04:11:24 UTC 2016

On 09/02/2016 10:26 PM, Dieter wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> is there a way to make freedombox respond to dns-querys for it's
> external hostname with the internal ip-address?
>
> e.g. i have a box with external hostname somebox.somedyndns.ip
>
> If i query this hostname from the local, internal network, can i make
> the box respond with it's ip-address of the local interface?
>
> Or should that already be the case, and my box is just broken? ;)
>
> Thank you for your help! :)

One solution seems to be to add an entry 'address=/<domain>/<ipaddress>'
in /etc/NetworkManager/dnsmasq.d/hosts.conf[1].

When we have a DNS server running on FreedomBox, this is one thing that
we can consider handling as DNS servers usually do this.

Links:

1)
https://askubuntu.com/questions/117899/configure-networkmanagers-dnsmasq-to-use-etc-hosts

--