[Freedombox-discuss] No apps, no sys configuration + no ssh access

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Sun Sep 18 15:42:51 UTC 2016

On 09/18/2016 08:39 PM, euomu wrote:
[...]
>> Check if automatic upgrades are enabled in plinth/sys/upgrades/ . Check
>> for upgrade errors in /plinth/sys/upgrades/upgrade/
>
> I had them enabled and here is the log for a few days of upgrading trials:

[...]

You seem to have hit this bug: https://bugs.debian.org/824797

>> Then create a fresh new user in /plinth/sys/users with admin permissions
>> and try to login with that user on SSH.  Check if FreedomBox upgrades
>> have halted for some reason:
>
> I did try to create the user, but it's not possible to make it admin and
> ssh still dosen't work on that user either.
> Creating LDAP user failed.
> Failed to add new user to admin group.
> User xxxx created.

Looks like the LDAP server is not running.  Before you try the methods
below, do a reboot (/plinth/sys/power/) and try to create to login (or
create a new user) again.

This double failure is unfortunate and I can only think of the following
two methods:

1) Add your public SSH key in edit user page and to do SSH login using
SSH key.  This may or may not work as the LDAP server seems down.

2) Shutdown the machine pull out the SD card and attach it into another
machine.

# mount /dev/sdf2 /mnt (adjust the device name as needed)
# chpasswd --root /mnt --crypt-method SHA512
fbx:<new password>

Or (perhaps)
# passwd --root /mnt fbx
<new password>
<repeat new password>

# umount /mnt

Then put the SD card back into the FreedomBox machine and boot it.  You
should be able to login as 'fbx' user with the new password and handle
upgrades manually.

--
Sunil