[Freedombox-discuss] Suggestion to include FreedomBox system distribution in the list of free distributions at GNU.org

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Tue Apr 18 11:23:18 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 18 April 2017 01:01 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
[...]
>> Hi, I'm a free/libre software activist from Brazil, and although I'm
>> not a tech expert, I have a suggestion to make:
>>
>> Can you follow the steps at
>> [[http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html#NewDistro]] so as to
>> include FreedomBox in the list of free/libre system distributions?
>>
>> If you already have done that: What is the status of the evaluation?
>
> I believe there is no such process ongoing.
>
> FreedomBox is not a distribution on its own, but a Debian Pure Blend -
> i.e. a subset of Debian.  Debian does not contain non-free parts and do
> not recommend the use of non-free parts, but Free Software Foundation
> disapproves of how Debian _suggests_ it.  Notice their explicit mention
> of "suggesting" at their web page.

With recent changes Raspberry Pi 2/3 builds use the Debian kernel.  We
have only the boot firmware of Raspberry Pi as non-free firmware.  This,
hopefully, will be freed in the near future.  RPi 1 images could perhaps
be dropped.

Assuming this happens, FreedomBox is in a better situation than Debian.
FreedomBox does not even suggest non-free firmware.  We don't show or
talk about non-free package on FreedomBox web pages and materials.

> I therefore consider it unlikely for the Free Software Foundation to
> endors FreedomBox on their list - but hey, if anyone wants to try,
> please do go ahead - other distros based on Ubuntu which is undoubtedly
> less free is on that list, so anything is possible.

I believe we could try.

--
Sunil