[Freedombox-discuss] recommended hardware

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Tue Apr 18 17:43:32 UTC 2017

Hi Thomas.

[cc'ing the FreedomBox list - assuming discrete post was accidental]

Quoting Thomas Thorpe (2017-04-18 17:45:13)
> Wondering what the issue may be with the 4 gig NAND version? I was
> about to buy one. If there's a good reason not to, please save me from
> myself! :)

To boot from NAND, both U-boot and Linux need a driver for the
controller chip on the board to access it.

Debian (and FreedomBox) uses mainline U-boot and Linux.

Olimex LIME/LIME2 boards rely on the Allwinner A20 SoC to access NAND.

Driver for A20 SoC to access NAND is not yet in a usable state:
http://linux-sunxi.org/Mainline_NAND_Howto

Details too geeky for me seemingly also covering U-boot:
http://linux-sunxi.org/MTD_Driver

Just avoid that board - pick a non-storage-glued-on board or the eMMC
board instead!

Hope that helps,