[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox and decentralized search

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 13:48:35 UTC 2017

Hi All

Going back to Eben Moglen's "Freedom in the cloud" talk, he spoke about the
importance of having search engines that dont track you.

I recently came across this awesome decentralized search engine that
respects privacy, searx

http://stats.searx.oe5tpo.com/

It is possible to run your own node, and let others use it.  You can
configure search engines it works with and it has a great UI.  Actually I
prefer the results it gives to mainstream commercial web search engines too.

I have tried running a version and it seems reasonably leightweight.  Only
downside, as far as I can see, is there is no debian package, right now.

I was wondering what people thought about the idea of having your own
search engine together in your freedombox?

Melvin