[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox and decentralized search

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Sat Apr 29 18:24:12 UTC 2017

On 04/28/2017 07:18 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Going back to Eben Moglen's "Freedom in the cloud" talk, he spoke about
> the importance of having search engines that dont track you.
>
> I recently came across this awesome decentralized search engine that
> respects privacy, searx
>
> http://stats.searx.oe5tpo.com/
>
> It is possible to run your own node, and let others use it.  You can
> configure search engines it works with and it has a great UI.  Actually
> I prefer the results it gives to mainstream commercial web search
> engines too.
>
> I have tried running a version and it seems reasonably leightweight.
> Only downside, as far as I can see, is there is no debian package, right
> now.
>
> I was wondering what people thought about the idea of having your own
> search engine together in your freedombox?

We should certainly have a search engine in FreedomBox.  searx seems to
be a self hosted metasearch engine.  Ideally, we should have a fully
decentralized search engine with crawler and indexing[1].  However,
searx could prove nice for some use cases.

Links:
1) http://yacy.net/en/index.html

--
Sunil