[Freedombox-discuss] Using Freedombox with a normal router

Pierre L. petrus at miosweb.mooo.com
Fri Aug 4 20:22:21 UTC 2017

Hey,

Not sure about that.
If your Windows PC has virus, it can be sent automatically by your email
software to your contact list, shared on the LAN (wired network / wifi)
ex:Wannacry, ... PC can become a botnet, the bad guy is able to take
control for example by a Tor instance (hidden services) running on your
PC installed by the virus, etc...

I don't think Freedombox can prevent security problems coming to/from
your PC.

Yes there's a firewall set up in FBX, but it will protect FBX itself,
than the LAN behind if FBX is acting as a router.
If I'm not wrong, the firewall is set up as this :
- all incoming packets from WAN are dropped/blocked, only FBX services
are available. So if you run a mail server on another machine/IP on your
LAN, your FBX as router will block connection to the mail server from
the WAN.
- all outgoing packets from LAN to WAN are not blocked, everything can
go outside.

(may be I'm wrong...)

Yoel Koenka :