[Freedombox-discuss] Cubieboard5 Deemed Unsuitable?

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Sat Dec 2 12:44:46 UTC 2017

Hi Josh (and others),

Quoting Stefan Monnier (2017-12-02 04:03:36)
>> I was on https://wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware and I noticed
>> that the Cubieboard3 was recomended, but the Cubieboard5 wasn't. Why
>> is this? Why was the Cubieboard5 deemed " possibly using less than
>> ideal components or wiring for essential parts" while the Cubieboard3
>> was not?
>
> Probably because its SATA port is connected to the SoC via USB.

Correct.

I appreciate comments like yours, Josh - please do not hesitate to share
any other questions or suspecicions about the quality of the list: It is
no doubt far from perfect. :-)

Ideally detailed reasons for chosen categorization would be available,
but I have not found a way to do so with the current format (and please
do *not* change current format without discussing first, as quite likely
your ideas for improvements clashes with _other_ priorities - e.g. ease
of editing the source as plaintext - not only with a javascript-fuelled
web editing UI).

> At least, that's the main reason why I stick to boards built on the
> Allwinner A20 SoC, which is still the cheapest SoC with real SATA
> support, AFAIK (tho for some reason it's limited to 50MB/s of write
> throughput).

Agreed.  Thanks for chiming in :-)