[Freedombox-discuss] Personal Web Server

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Thu Dec 7 19:43:49 UTC 2017

Quoting permondes - sagen (2017-12-07 19:41:45)
> Am Donnerstag, den 07.12.2017, 11:22 +0530 schrieb Joseph Nuthalapati:
>> if you want to host a website, you can simply host it from Apache
>> by  adding the files in /var/www/html.

I would not describe that as "simply" in the context of FreedomBox.

>> FreedomBox serves Plinth by default. This configuration is in
>> /etc/apache2/conf-available/freedombox.conf. Delete the following
>> line from the file and Apache will serve your website files instead.
[...]
> Thanks for working out this solution.If there is an update e.g. of
> apache, will this cause a debconf prompt? Those are always an issue
> with unattended upgrades.

Yes, editing configuration files is an administration task: You are then
administrator of your ayatem and need to resolve any conflicts at later
package updates yourself.

Please note that arguably your system then no longer is a FreedomBox but
a general Debian system: An essential point of FreedomBox is to be dead
simple which arguably excludes editing configuration files at all.