[Freedombox-discuss] RPi3?

Joseph Nuthalapati njoseph at thoughtworks.com
Sat Dec 9 15:57:40 UTC 2017

> Has anyone managed to get the 0.9 release working on a Pi 3? I'm out
of ideas - I just get the rainbow screen and it stops dead in its tracks.

The 0.9 release on the FreedomBox Foundation website is outdated. Please
download your images from https://freedombox.org/ instead.

According to https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/plinth the current stable
version of FreedomBox is 0.13.1 and 0.18.1 is the testing version. I
recommend that you use the testing version if possible, since FreedomBox
is currently under active development with new versions releasing every
2 weeks.

I just realized that we aren't distributing testing images. For now, you
can download the stable image for Raspberry Pi 2 and install it on your
Raspberry Pi 3. After installation, you can upgrade it to testing.

I understand the pain with Raspberry Pi. There are nonfree blobs and
network issues. However, our current testing version works quite well on
both Raspberry Pi 2 and Raspberry Pi 3. It's the same 32-bit image for
both. We don't have a 64-bit version of FreedomBox for ARM devices yet.
I hope this changes soon as I really want to use a Pine A64 with 2 GB
RAM as my FreedomBox.

--
Joseph