[Freedombox-discuss] cannot access plinth config web server

Aaron Ferrucci aaron.ferrucci at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 05:13:32 UTC 2017

I'm setting up an APU1D4 with freedombox, and I've hit a snag. I'm unable
to access the plinth config page from another computer on the same LAN. I
browsed the mailing list archives, and found this thread:
"[Freedombox-discuss] Need help with getting start", back in Nov 2015. The
problem described there seems identical: I can ssh into the freedombox, and
ping works, but the web browser says "problem loading page...". Maybe more
to the point, from another computer on the lan,
%  wget http://192.168.1.137
gives
--2017-01-06 20:53:11--  http://192.168.1.137/
Connecting to 192.168.1.137:80... failed: No route to host.

Another bit of info: on the freedombox itself, if I do
% wget localhost:8000/plinth
I get a file, "plinth", which appears to be the admin interface (its
description is "Plinth administrative interface for the FreedomBox".

This shows that apache is running, and would serve up the admin page to
anything that could connect.

So it seems I'm having a firewall or other connectivity issue, and I had
high hopes that the list of experiments posted in the "Need help with
getting start" thread would help, but so far I have not been successful.
I'm going to post the output of the commands suggested in the thread, in
the hopes that the info is meaningful to an expert. Thanks for any help!

*root at freedombox:/home/aaronf# firewall-cmd --list-all-zones*
block
  target: %%REJECT%%
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces:
  sources:
  services:
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  source-ports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:

dmz
  target: default
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces:
  sources:
  services: ssh
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  source-ports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:

drop
  target: DROP
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces:
  sources:
  services:
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  source-ports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:

external (active)
  target: default
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces: eth0
  sources:
  services: ssh
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: yes
  forward-ports:
  source-ports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:

home
  target: default
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces:
  sources:
  services: ssh mdns samba-client dhcpv6-client
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  source-ports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:

internal
  target: default
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces:
  sources:
  services: ssh mdns samba-client dhcpv6-client ntp
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  source-ports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:

public
  target: default
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces:
  sources:
  services: ssh dhcpv6-client
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  source-ports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:

trusted
  target: ACCEPT
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces:
  sources:
  services:
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  source-ports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:

work
  target: default
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces:
  sources:
  services: ssh dhcpv6-client
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  source-ports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:

*root at freedombox:/home/aaronf# nmcli device*
DEVICE  TYPE      STATE        CONNECTION
eth0    ethernet  connected    FreedomBox *
eth1    ethernet  unavailable  --
eth2    ethernet  unavailable  --
lo      loopback  unmanaged    --

---
root at freedombox:/home/aaronf# cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

*root at freedombox:/home/aaronf# systemctl status apache2*
● apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor
preset:
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2017-01-06 20:31:34 PST; 40min ago
 Main PID: 666 (apache2)
   CGroup: /system.slice/apache2.service
           ├─666 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─676 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─677 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─678 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           ├─679 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
           └─680 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start

Jan 06 20:31:33 freedombox systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server...
Jan 06 20:31:34 freedombox systemd[1]: Started The Apache HTTP Server.